What is Food Insecurity?
Food insecurity refers to USDAs measure of lack of access, at times, to enough food for an active, healthy life for all household members and limited or uncertain availability of nutritionally adequate foods.
|People who are food insecure 1,2||13% (1 in 8)|
|People in the Food Bank’s 29-county service area who are food insecure 1,2||11% (1 in 9)|
|Children who are food insecure 1,2||16% (1 in 6)|
|Children in the Food Bank’s 29-county service area who are food insecure 1,2||14% (1 in 7)|
|Seniors (age 60 and older) who are food insecure 3||8% (1 in 13)|
|People who participate in SNAP 4,6||15% (1 in7)|
|People who are food insecure and above 185% of the federal poverty line, making them ineligible for food assistance programs 1||36%|
|People who are food insecure 1,2||12% (1 in 8)|
|Children who are food insecure 1,2||17% (1 in 6)|
|Seniors (age 60 and older) who are food insecure 3||7% (1 in14)|
|People who participate in SNAP 5,6||13% (1 in 8)|
|People who are food insecure and above 185% of the federal poverty line, making them ineligible for food assistance programs 1||35%|
General Food Bank Statistics
(see below for pandemic-related updates)
- The Food Bank distributed 78+ million pounds of food and grocery products in FY 2019-20
- 22% of food and grocery items distributed by the Food Bank in FY 2019-20 was fresh produce. Including meat proteins, 45% of the food distributed was perishable (vs. shelf stable).
- In a typical year, over 30,000 volunteers serve over 110,000 hours in support of the Food Bank’s mission.
- The Food Bank works with over 700 partner agencies that directly distribute food to clients in 29 counties.
Covid-19 Pandemic Related Statistics
- The Food Bank has seen a 300% increase in inquiries from people seeking food assistance.
- Due to increased demand related to the economic effects of the covid-19 pandemic, the Food Bank is distributing between 30% & 40% more food each week than the same period one year ago.
- Mobile pantries: 4.1 million pounds of food was distributed via special COVID-19 mobile pantries.
- Since May, the Food Bank has received 11.4 Million lbs. of fresh food, including dairy, produce and proteins, from the USDA’s Farm to Food Bank program.
Double Your Impact Against Hunger $1 can help provide 8 meals
Your gift by June 30 will be matched up to $70,000 to provide twice as many meals.