September isn't any old month for us at the Food Bank. It's Hunger Action Month--the time when all Feeding America food banks across the nation ask everyone in America to take action to fight hunger in their community, all month long. Hunger Action Month is your opportunity to join a movement that has a real and lasting impact on our effort to feed more Americans than ever before. Whether it’s by advocating and raising awareness, making donations, or volunteering, you can find the way that’s right for you to make a difference during Hunger Action Month.
Here are some easy ways for you to take action this month:
- Orange is the color of Hunger Action Month so we want you to Go Orange with us on Thursday, September 3--don your best orange outfit and share it with us using the hashtag #ATLHungerAction!
- Join us Tuesday, September 15 from 6:30 to 8:00 pm at Meehan’s Atlantic Station for our #ACFBTweetup! Come out and support the Atlanta Community Food Bank as we take action against hunger in September. Make sure to bring food and monetary donations for raffle tickets! $5/5 nonperishable food items gets you a ticket; $20/20 food items gets you five.
- In support of Hunger Action Month, the King of Pops is offering a special “care package” of pops available at their walk up window at Bernina & Elizabeth Street in Inman Park. For every pack you purchase, $5 goes to the Food Bank. Each 8-pack costs $25 and has two of the following delicious flavors: Cantaloupe Orange Peach, Chocolate Covered Strawberry, Strawberry & Watermelon, and Nut & Honey.
- A great and easy way to help the Food Bank all month long is to host a Food and Fund Drive through our website. Get your family, friends and co-workers to help you reach your goal. Make it a competition, make it a party, but above all...make it fun!
- Hunger Action Fashion? Yes! Tangerine Tango Fashion Show, benefiting the Food Bank, is back at Bloomingdale’s Lenox Square on Wednesday, September 9 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Professional models will showcase the new fall looks in shades of orange, as attendees enjoy wine and delicious passed hors d’oeuvres by Proof of the Pudding, as well as a chance to win door prizes. Don't miss out!
- The Georgia Food Oasis' Potluck & Pitch event, held at the Food Bank, allows 5 innovators to share their ideas about bringing affordable, fresh and healthy food choices to underserved Atlanta neighborhoods. Bring a dish to share on Thursday, September 24 at 6 p.m. and vote on the best pitch. ALL ticket sales (up to $1,000) go toward the innovator who receives the most votes! Tickets are $10.
This year, we’ve also partnered with Atlantic Station for fun, new ways to take action against hunger. Bring $5 or 5 cans to participating Wellness Wednesdays, Tot Spot events or a special showing of Ratatouille at sundown on Saturday, September 26. Not able to make an event? Donate at the concierge desk throughout September. Visit the Atlantic Station blog to learn more about their Hunger Action Month activities!